Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Manipulating the Audiences' Emotion

 

I feel like I have had a major breakthrough with my film opening today. I am reaching the point where I am starting to fully develop each scene. I have divided my film into 7 scenes so that I can easily optimize my drafting and time. I am very excited about my project because I feel that with my effective planning, I plan on storyboarding my ideas in the upcoming days so that I can visually draft my written draft. Now that I have my full ideas written out, I can move onto further development as far as production.  I’ve attached my planning for each scene, a script will be coming up next.

Today I have researched the best ways to incorporate lighting within my media. From some various medias I have consumed, I have always acknowledged the dramatic use of lighting. When a director incorporates dim lighting, or blue hues, I feel a sense of isolation and anticipation. I really want to incorporate this feel within my film. Specifically for my film, I believe that at scene 4, the filter should switch to a blueish hue. Below, I have attached the link and a screenshot of the website I gathered some information on regarding the use of lighting. I will use low-key lighting and a blue tint. However, I will need to research the best way in which I can apply these techniques without making the scenes look tacky.

Correction! The tint that I want to utilize is a blueish-greenish tint. I think that this tint will be too overbearing if it is used for every shot and would not efficiently go along with the build of the plot. Once the two characters are in their frantic state at each floor, I will use this tint to show the heavy atmosphere.

                                                   BLUE: Cold, Depression                                                                      

                                                    Green: Corruption, Darkness, Envy                                                  

                                                    Red:   Violence, Aggression, Power                                                   

    I will use the blue and green tint when the characters are navigating their way through the challenge at each floor. The blue hues will foreshadow the characters’ growing depression for not knowing how to complete each challenge. The green will represent the envy the outside world for not being trapped in whatever world they fell into. Red will be used rarely when their time to complete the challenge is running low, and shows their despair.

                                                                     Examples in Film

            *Notable examples that I have found inspiration from to create shots similar to these*

                                    2001- A Space Odyssey, directed by Stanley Kubrick 

                                 2013- Only God Forgives, directed by Nicolas Winding Refn


  2004- The Machinist, directed by Brad Anderson



Links to References used ;)

https://nofilmschool.com/creating-emotion-color-cinematography

https://www2.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/announcements/bfi-rerelease-stanley-kubricks-2001

https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/manipulate-emotions-with-color-in-film/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

 Here is my CCR!! I hope you enjoy it. You might need some reflective glasses LOL. That was a joke!