Tuesday, March 1, 2022

"STING" like a bee....Foley Play

     I’ve done some research on the art of Foley and how to utilize it to my best advantage. Forewarning: I am not an experienced Foley artist so this learning experience will be fun and frustrating but It will be an opportunity to grow and learn. I went within the deep confines of my Microsoft Word to find my notes on sound. I want the sound in my opening to be surreal and surround, which may be a reach but I am sure I can work to accomplish this. My biggest concern is making sure that the sound is synchronous and correlate smoothly with the content on the screen. While there may be many uses of diegetic sound, I want to implement nondiegetic sound to show my versatility. For my sound bridge, I want there to be a drastic transition from the first half of the scene where the characters are cheery and excited to take on the college life, into the dull and mysterious sense of them being essentially trapped. Sting's will be VERRY useful to enhance the dramatic part of my scene. 



*Pictured above are the notes I took a while ago on sound, they've refreshed my knowledge on music techniques*


    The goal is to make sound that isn't corny. One notable film that used an impressive Foley artist is, "A Quiet Place" which has impeccably created sounds by using zapping grapes, snapping celery, crab legs to signify the monster walking, and more. These are items that I can easily find in my house, or buy if necessary. It is noted that to use Foley recording, it is highly experimental and I'll get creative. This video was very useful and provided me with great insight on how I want to use Foley as an amateur. 

              Link to,  "How The Sound Effects In 'A Quiet Place' Were Made "    https://youtu.be/WnozP8OWeik


                                                    Specific uses of Foley!

    There are specific parts within my film that  want to demonstrate Foley sound.

I plan to establish more Foley usage but here are the parts where I will use specific sounds. 

                        

Pushing of the elevator buttons- Electric Shaver *tzz tzz*

Creepy Elevator Man- Me walking in boots (character will be wearing boots)

Taking Pictures of Characters- shutter clicking, ??

Character Jumping- Me Jumping in an elevator (will be recorded separately at the time of video recording)

Elevator Noise- Pounding on Dryer/Washer

Heartbeat of character in elevator- heavy tapping on desk/chest (merge sound)

Scene 5 “Crazy Sound” (multiple sounds uniform in chaos)- I want there to be a more air (fan/hair dryer)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

 Here is my CCR!! I hope you enjoy it. You might need some reflective glasses LOL. That was a joke!